Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Sandwich Club

Like many of my imaginary colleagues, I have very fond memories of the burger joint on Oakton, between Crawford and Skokie Blvd. This place was known as Falafel King, and was the epitome of "ridiculously greasy and yet unbelievably awesome cuisine." As far as I can recall, at least. It was the the best thing in the world to 12-year-old me. The fact that The Sandwich Club took Falafel King's location (not through force, as far as I know) is what, more than anything else, has made me hesitant to try it up until now. I felt like I was betraying the memory of Falafel King, simply by supporting its geographical successor. Also, I don't like venturing too far in to Skokie for obvious reasons (the leprosy). However, after my years of recalcitrance, I've finally broken down and given them a shot.

The impression you get upon walking into The Sandwich Club is...well, it feels like a deli restaurant. Which it isn't (at least not by my standards of deli restaurants), however it's close enough to fake it. The service is good. Not exceptional, but definitely well above average. And the food is shockingly good. I went with a group of 4 people, each of whom ordered something completely different, and each of whom was thoroughly satisfied.

I got myself what they call a "Ru-Burger." It essentially is a burger topped with fried corned beef and sauerkraut. I've never had anything like it which I truly regret. Because that thing was fantastic. And the price was pretty reasonable as well. The burger comes with fries and a pickle, for under 10 dollars. And if you order a fountain drink, you get free refills (which is a policy that I happen to love in restaurants). I have not left a restaurant in the Chicagoland area as satisfied as I left The Sandwich club in close to a decade.

The only truly negative thing I can say about the Sandwich club is that the space is very cramped. And in their efforts to be able to seat the most people possible, they have exacerbated the sardine-like nature of the seating.

For the combination of fantastic food, good service, good value, and claustrophobia, I award The Sandwich Club an unprecedented-for-the-Chicago-area 4.25/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment