Sunday, May 9, 2010

Great Chicago Food And Beverage Company

For those of you who are unaware, The Great Chicago Food And Beverage Company, located on the corner of Kedzie and Devon, began its existence as a Roger's Park outpost of the at-the-time vastly popular Ken's Diner. And it served Ken's food with fried chicken as a bonus prize. Like the cholesterol in the bottom of a cereal box. I don't pretend to know the reasons why Great Chicago eventually changed hands, but I do pretend to have immediately tasted the difference. I've been back there a number of times over the years, each time thinking that I'll give it another chance and hopefully be shocked by their awesome prowess. This has happened twice over the past decade or so. What I've gathered in my Great Chicago ordeals is that the food is never the same quality twice. If you happen to luck out and get there as they're making a fresh batch of popcorn chicken or fries then you're in for a pretty decent meal (assuming you order one of those items). But by-and-large the quality just doesn't live up to my strict standards of tasting-better-than-the-raw-chicken-in-my-freezer. Also it's always sticky and dirty. So, for now, I'm shutting my optimism down on the ever-present pariah that is Great Chicago.

For the two times I've gotten good food there, I'll award it a 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment